Monday, June 3, 2013

Letting them go

About an hour ago, I flat our cried in front of a student, thanking her for the inspiration she provided me this year.  It seems so backward.  Shouldn't I be inspiring them?

We have the greatest jobs in the world.  I hate this final week of school.  The farewells, so longs, and good-byes hit me straight in the heart.  I will miss each and every one of these little kiddos.  One of my biggest fears is that I get more from them than they get from me.  I get 140 different perspectives on the wonders and tragedies of our world, the smiles and tears, the joys and the sorrows.  The worst part about my job isn't the workload, the pay, the hours, the administration, or the public perception of public education.  The worst part is letting so many kids go after getting to know how awesome they are at the end of the year.  Another awesome bunch will take their place next year.  One one hand I get bummed out with the good-byes.  On the other hand, who else in the world gets to do what we do.  We are in the profession of getting to know people and helping them along the way.  Hooray for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment